JBHM was commissioned to provide architectural services to renovate the 1929 Plaza Building in downtown Jackson, Mississippi, from an office building to a mixed-use facility. The top three floors of the 95,000 square foot, 12-story building were turned into apartments, while the middle floors house offices. Restaurants are on the lower floor of the building that sits on the corner of Congress and Amite streets.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Plaza’s grand exterior features ornamental detailing of scrolls, rosettes and a variety of arches. The lobby has been refurbished to the opulence and grandeur of the 1920’s with a gilded plaster relief, ornate lighting, terrazzo flooring and carved black marble elevator surrounds. Apartments feature hickory wood flooring, contemporary cabinetry with granite countertops and designer stainless appliances.